Saturday, December 13, 2008

I'm in Saudi Arabia!

Friday was a day that never really was. We had a normal flight over to Frankfurt on Thursday, arriving on Friday morning, and then a several hour wait for the flight from Frankfurt to Kuwait, and then onto Saudi Arabia. The flight to Saudi Arabia went pretty quickly, especially since I talked with the woman seated beside me who was in the US Army and was heading back to Iraq. It was very interesting to hear an Army Officer’s perspective on how things are going there. She was just getting back from several weeks R&R in Europe. I’d say she’d earned it. We landed for a very short time in Kuwait, and this was all I got to see of this country:

But, then it was time for the 45 minute plane ride to land in Dammam. We landed fine, but then it took our group forever to get through customs and immigration. This is one of my first views of Saudi Arabia.

We were all fingerprinted and had our picture taken, which was fine and everyone was very polite. It just took so long! (By the way, the Saudi government isn't messing around when it comes to illegal drugs--this is the entry card for the country....look at the red print at the top.)

After well over 2 hours our group made it through customs and immigration and it was time to take the bus 45 minutes to the Saudi Aramco compound where we are staying here in Dammam. My room is nice, and I especially like the feature that all Saudi hotel rooms have: an indicator showing which way Mecca is so that Muslims can face the correct direction to pray. This particular one is mounted on the ceiling of my room.

I also have a prayer rug in my room for praying, but I don’t have a Koran, which makes me think they removed it since I am not Muslim. You can see a picture of the prayer rug laying with the rest of my gear below. You can also see the very nice hospitality that was waiting on us prepared in our refrigerators.

So, it is now after 2 AM on Saturday here, and I have to be up and going by at least 7 AM or so, so I had better call it an evening. Remember, I am eight hours ahead now of EST.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr.Heiden

WOW! I didn't know Saudi Arabia was that cool. It looked so big with tall buildings. U must be having fun. Mrs.Emmons Finshed The Family Under The Bridge todayand it was a great book. I bet The Christmas Pagent would be a better book. So Mr.Heiden wat do they eat in Saudi Arabia? I am so excited to hear all about your adventures at Saudi Arabia. I hope YOU HAD A GREAT TRIP.

From Your Best Student

Christian

Anonymous said...

dear Mr.Heiden
congrats! you finaly made it! i bet you are preaty tired since you have benn travelind so much. right now i am watching the ending of the lion the witch and the wardrobe. today in spelling Mrs.Emmons let us practice on mini dry erase bords. hope you have a gr8 time in S.A.
your ovious best stubent
Kynnedy

Anonymous said...

Mr. Heiden,

Looks like a nice place. Have they had any sand stroms? Have a good time and keep posting.

By the way nice hair cut:)

From your former student.
Joe Harper

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Heiden,
I came across your blog and find your accounts on Saudi very interesting. I'm from Singapore and currently I'm on work assignment in Dammam. If it's possible, I'd like to meet up with your good self, just to talk to a person much travelled!

Enjoy Saudi.

sulaiman@cai.sg

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. H,

I just got back from my basketball game that we won 17-6 and I scored 4 of those points. thanks for sending us a picture of the food and the writing that they use. Why do they worship on a worship mat and to who. Just checking in.

Mark Heiden said...

Christian, I am very glad you like the book so far. Also, keep checking because I am uploading lots of food photos each day! And, just between you and me Christian...you are my best student!

Kynnedy, I am glad to hear from you. I hope you liked your movie--that one is one of my favorities.

Joseph: It's been a long time. Are you still wearing your same sweatshirt!?!?!? I hope so! Yeah, my hair is a bit longer than you probably remember it. I'm glad you are reading my blog.

Jackson,

I am sure I will speak more about Islam in the future, but Islam is the faith of most every Saudi. Islam is a faith that is both similar and different from Christianity and other world religions. One of the pillars of Islam is that you face Mecca (a city in Saudi Arabia where Islam was born) and pray 5 times per day. The prayer mat is probably just so your knees don't hurt! They are praying to God (Allah).